Hit the reset button

screenshot_20170125-172519Have you ever wanted to reset your brain? To stop thinking the way you do? Is it even possible? Are our brains smart enough to transform us into a new person?

Science says YES. Our brain is malleable. They have termed this key idea plasticity. We can change, learn and develop cognitively even at an advanced age.  I conducted some research into rebooting your brain and found everything from tips and tricks to peer reviewed journals on Neuroscience topics outlining experiments and results to help in resetting your brain.  It’s a big topic these days.

It is common knowledge in the world of Neuroscience that the mysteries of the mind and brain are many and complex but with the help of modern technology aids they have been able to begin unscrambling these mysteries.

At this point topics such as creativity, addiction, mental health and reversal of age all begin to fascinate me. What if we could reset our own brain, little by little, until we become perfect – well, perfect is an ambiguous word – perfect in our own eyes (because perfect to you is not perfect to me).

Neuroplasticity is the minds ability to change the brain. Neurons and grey matter can alter depending on what we put into our brain. For example some people have learnt a second language – their grey matter reflects this by showing differences under MRI scan than someone who is not bilingual. Again if a third or fourth language is learnt, the brain reflects these differences too.  We can spark our brain into action by inputting new ways of thinking or learning.

I decided to commit myself to an experiment with me being the guinea pig. The aim of my experiment is to use the 3 elements below to encourage healthy eating and weight loss. I’m escaping from the yo-yo dieter syndrome by resetting my brain using hypnosis, meditation and sleep.

Let’s break it down- the 3 elements. I’ll be using in this experiment.

SLEEP – R.E.M Sleep is crucial for resetting the brain. It aids in building new synapses and brain cells.  Sleep also helps the brain clean up the residue of the day. The by-products or waste are eliminated. By sleeping soundly we help our brains remain healthy and in turn our brain maintains a level of learning ability and retains information.

MEDITATION – Mediation isn’t just a spiritual practice, it is a practical one. Meditating on a regular basis increases focus, imagination and problem solving. It removes the mental fuzziness associated with overwork, lack of sleep and stress.

HYPNOSIS – Hypnotherapy is based on the relationship between your conscious and subconscious mind. Surprisingly your conscious mind only acccounts for 10% of your awareness. This part of your mind analyses, solves problems, and evaluates situations and concerns. On the other hand the subconscious acounts for 90% of your mind. It is like a computer holding memories of everything we see, hear, feel and experience. It controls our bodily functions such as breathing, blinking, it controls our immune system , our emotions and our habits.

It has the power to accept or reject a new program. This is where the reset takes place. This is where the change comes from. During hypnosis your subconscious mind recieves the new program (information) passing by the critical drama of the conscious mind because at this point it has been made redundant. The new information is recieved directly to your internal computer. In effect pressing the button.

Tomorrow I will write my first account in my journey to reset my brain. I will participate in all 3 of these elements for 28 days to determine if a change has occured. Stay tuned!


Melissa Coleman View All →

I’ve always been passionate about storytelling and impressed by the influence it has on people and the decisions they make in life. I love engaging with the projects I work on, diving headfirst into the research, investigation, and production of stories and articles I feel are worth writing about.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: